Wednesday 17 March 2010

an attempt at reflection

Someone suggested I try a blog as a way of reflecting on my youth work practice as I struggle to reflect in other ways. So I thought I'd give it a try. I may reflect on other stuff from family life to church planting.. feel free to follow, join in or just have a nosey now and again.

It took a long time for me to accept that I was meant for youth work. I felt God calling me to youth work on occasions throughout my teens but resisted, I can't say why I resisted but I suppose I never saw myself as a youth worker or never saw myself capable. Though I was involved in some kind of youth work since the age of 16 I never embraced the idea of really being a youth worker wholeheartedly. It was when I gave in and took a paid job working for 'The Gap Project' in East London, where I was given the opportunity to flourish in an encouraging environment, that I realised I could actually do it.

So now, 7 years after starting at Gap and almost 20 (eek!) after first dipping my toes in, I find myself developing youth work from scratch on the inner city estate where I live - where I also grew up. After being back in Newton Heath for 5 and a half years we are now at the stage of being in a position to see things grow (and mushroom?). For a long time, though the vision and the hope were there, I struggled to believe we could see things happen on the estate. I suppose this was not just a matter of believing that such entrenched ways of life and culture could change but a lack of belief in myself that I could be involved in that transformation. Obviously, I believe that God is the author and it is He who chooses to use us and His spirit that leads, guides and breathes life - maybe I lacked the belief that He would choose to use me?

But He has chosen to use me and is using me and this week I have been in a situation where I know the outcome would not have been as it was had I not been involved.

I don't want to do long rambling blogs so I will stop for now and elaborate on the above in the next installement.

3 comments:

  1. So you're reflecting here on your call to youth work and perhaps the recent evidence from the 'mushrooming' is that you are good at it?
    what is it about your experience of being a youth, youth worker, christian that makes your youth work qualitatively different do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Good start:-) lucyann raises some interesting questions - hope they inspire you to write more...I look forward to it:-D
    (Betty is Louise by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe I'm good at it but I also compare myself with others who I believe to be better at it than me and I wonder would they have progressed quicker with the work in my place?

    Qualitatively different to what? I'm not sure how to respond to that question as I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking what is it about my experiences that makes me 'successful' in my work? If so, I will have a little ponder and get back to you!

    ReplyDelete